FCCB Challenge #173: Cool Treats

No Sour Faces Here!



FCCB Challenge #173: Cool Treats
This week's challenge was to use a "cool treat".  While most of you may be thinking popsicles and ice cream, I had something else in mind.....Lemonade!  And since I prefer mine a little on the sweet side (just like me, lol), I won't be making any of those fish-lipped, pucker-puss faces. Smiles!!!  Here's my card:


Doesn't that just make you want to grab a big ol' glassful and head out to the veranda and sit on the porch swing and sip?  (I know, a lot of "and's")

I started out with a kraft cardstock base of 4" x 6" and cut another layer at 3-7/8" x 5-7/8".  That layer was run through the Cuttlebug with an embossing folder and inked with some distress ink.  I wrapped a scrap piece of ribbon around it and mounted it to the card base with some foam tape.

I then cut the diecut label using a template from Hot Off the Press, inked it with distress ink, and cut a matting piece from Cricut cardstock.  The lettering on the tag was done by hand.

Now, for the highlights....I used the Just Because Cards cartridge to cut my sentiment and my glass of lemonade using Cricut cardstock and a scrap piece of acetate (for the glass).  You can see from the photo how I laid out my pieces on my mat and the approximately sizes.  And since I only had to use a couple of colors, it was really economical also.

I ran the "glass" through the Cuttlebug with a swirly embossing folder to give it some detail.  All the elements were then adhered together and layered on top of the card.  And, of course, I had to add a little bling.


For the inside of my card, I got to try something I've never done before, and I was amazed at how totally easy it was!  I got to try the Cri-Kits Magnetic Holder for gel pens.  I had never used my Cricut to draw with before (at least that I can remember....) and this was just so darn simple.  I opened the package, loaded a gel pen into the holder, and placed the holder in my Cricut.  THAT'S IT!!! and here is how it turned out:



I made up this sentiment for a select group of people I hang around with.  Not that we're lushes or anything, but we've been known to polish off a few Yucca Bowls on our camping nights.  What is Yucca you ask?  Well, let me share the recipe.  You take a BIG bowl with a lid.  You get a mess of lemons and a crap-load of sugar.  You hand everyone a lemon to "knead" (in other words, mush it around until the guts are squishy).  Then you bust them up and put them in the bowl.  Add a bottle of vodka and a mess of sugar (to taste) and a bunch of ice.  Slap on the lid and pass it from person to person to gently shake the bowl until they want to pass it to the next person.  The slushing sound it makes is very relaxing.  Really.  Then, after it's been shaken for a while (you may want to wrap it in a towel cuz it will get really frosty), you rip off the lid and give everybody a straw to go at it.  Ok, so we all like each other in my group so we all just keep our straws and take a big ol glug whenever we want to, but if you might not want to share your "stuff" with everyone, you can always ladle it out into individual cups.  Frankly, I like the camaraderie we have with our straws, but to each his/her own! lol

Anyhow, back to the Cri-Kit pens...here is a closeup.  These glittery gel-pens are quite the awesome!  I set the speed to 2 and the cut to two cuts since I wanted to be sure I got good pen coverage.  It worked perfectly!


Hope you are inspired to head on over to FCCB and play along with our Challenge Me Monday. Need more inspiration?  No worries. You will find plenty from the Design Team.  Go! Now! Enjoy!

Supplies Used:
-- Just Because Cards Cartridge (Cricut)
-- Magnet Pen Holder and Glittery Gel Pens (Cri-Kits)
-- Kraft Cardstock (Recollections)
-- Colored Cardstock (Cricut)
-- Tim Holtz Distress Ink: Weathered Wood (Ranger)
-- Ribbon, Acetate, Gems (from my stash)

A special thank you to Cri-Kits for giving me the opportunity to try out your great products!

Til next time, keepin' it crafty!

5 comments:

Michelle N. said...

I love this card! Your "Yucca" friends will appreciate it too!

L.B. said...

Love the embossed "glass" great ideas and so fun.

Amy said...

Beautiful! I love how you did your glass-very creative. And thanks for the recipe for Yucca--sounds yummy!

Rachel said...

This is so cute! I LOVE the glass you created. That is an awesome idea! Thank you for becoming a subscriber to my blog!
-Rachel w k
rwkrafts.com

Mayras Designs said...

I love this card ! It is the perfect sentiment for summer !!

Mayra
Mayrasdesigns.blogspot.com/

Sketch Saturday #746

Hi, stampin' peeps! Can you believe it's March 9th already? Not sure where February went, but here we are with Spring just around th...