FCCB #177: Vinyl Education

LET'S CRAWL!!


Welcome to Toodle Noodle Creative and the FCCB Vinyl EDU Cricut Crawl - Fantabulous Cricut's version of a Blog Hop!!

This week we are challenging you to create a project using vinyl you have cut using your Cricut. We have a fabulous sponsor: Cricut Vinyl Supplies. And here is some great news! If we get 100 participants in this challenge, Cricut Vinyl Supplies will give away a Cricut Expression package that includes a Cricut Expression machine, deep cut blade, Jasmine Cricut cartridge, ten 12” x 12” assorted sheets of matte vinyl and one 12” x 12” gridded transfer tape. How exciting is that??


Save 15% off your vinyl order by entering the code: fantabulous.

If you've come from Amy HS at http://thestampingtree.blogspot.com, you're in the right place! If you've just happened across my blog and would like to see all the fabulous Design Team creations, head on over to Fantabulous Cricut HERE to start at the beginning.

Make sure to check out each DT member's blog! There will be Blog Candy along the way at ALL our DT members' blogs, and there will be a Grand Prize up for grabs at FCCB for one participant who submits a project using vinyl at FCCB!

And here is my project:



As you may remember from previous posts, my niece, Britanie, is getting married this coming Saturday, September 14th.  They live several states away from me, so I am extremely happy that I get to help with this wonderful event.  Being so far away makes it difficult, but not impossible!  

Before I get into the details of this project, let me show you a couple other things I have been able to work on for her wedding:

Thumbprint Tree (16 x 20).  Guests will add their thumbprint instead of signing a guest book.

Wine Cork Letter (using corks from the winery where the Groom works). They will tack pictures of the couple on it for the wedding, then it will be a part of their home decor afterward.

Vinyl Directional Signs (did six of these, two sided).  These will be put on lawn stakes and placed to direct guests to the venue (out in the wayback! lol).

Ok, now here's the nitty-gritty on how I did the "choose a seat" sign.  I was looking through samples of wording and none of them quite worked.  So I tweaked it a little so it rhymed without sounding....well....DUMB!  Once I was satisfied with the wording, I searched for some leaves and found them on the Thanksgiving Table Decor set from the Cricut Craft Room.  After adding several of them in several sizes and orientations, I duplicated them to fill my sheet.

The leaves laid out and cutting away!
I then cut out several sets of leaves (one color on the top half and another on the bottom half) so that I had lots of leaves in lots of colors.

The leaves after they've been weeded.
For the lettering, I used my Silhouette (gasp!) since I couldn't find a font I really liked in the cartridges I owned and didn't want to have to spend the money on a new cart.  This is how it looks (it will be the same process no matter which cutter you use) after it comes out of the machine before you "weed" it.  Here are a few photos that show the process of how to "weed" your vinyl cuts.  It's really quite simple.


This is how it comes out of the cutter.
Peeling off the vinyl that will be discarded.
With the background removed, ready to be weeded.
Weeding the center of the letters.
Transfer paper placed on top of vinyl and burnished so that the letters will stick to the transfer paper for placement on the project.
Slowly remove the transfer paper with the vinyl so the backing is removed.
After placing the transfer onto the project, burnish again to be sure the letters will stay where you want them, then carefully roll off the transfer paper keeping it close to your project.  This helps keep the letters from pulling up with the transfer sheet. 
The letters are all in place.
Transfer sheets are added to selected leaves and burnished to the sign.

Once all the leaves were in place, I added it to the wire lawn stake and now it's ready to go.  Since this is an outdoor wedding, I don't have to worry about anything on the sign "running".  



I hope you enjoyed this project and are inspired to try doing some vinyl projects on your own.  It's super easy and very satisfying.  

Thanks for stopping by today.  If you leave me a comment and become a follower, I will enter your name into a drawing for some vinyl.  The winner will be drawn and posted on my next FCCB blog post on September 16th.  I will even throw in some transfer sheets!

So now, head on over and check out Lynn at http://mycardsnstuff.blogspot.com. Make sure to visit all the stops along the way and when you get done, make sure you link up your project to FCCB's Fantabulous Cricut Crawl post!!



Happy Crawling!!

Here is the line up in case you get lost:



Til next time, keepin' it crafty!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ro!
What a terrific Aunt you are! Those are some fantastic items you've made for the reception. And I love the fact that the signs are safe outside...been to a couple of events where the signs did get wet and run. It's not a pretty sight.
I've just become a new follower so I can be sure to see more of your great creations. The blog candy would be a fun bonus too.
hugs--
Roberta
Queen Bee Paper Crafts

Cecelia said...

I love the saying on the sign! Your projects are beautiful! I became a follower. Thanks.
Cecelia

Michelle N. said...

OMG! Great signs, love the cuts you chose. The D corkboard is great too!

Amy said...

This is very pretty! They will love it. That font is so pretty--I really want a Silhouette in addition to my Cricut but can't really justify it right now. Your other projects are so cool--Love the wine cork monogram and the idea of tacking pix to it! So fun!

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

A wedding to be remembered with wonderful decor.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"

L.B. said...

What a lucky couple to have your help. Love this fun sign and the saying. That cork board and thumb tree so awesome

Robin's Creative Cottage said...

Fabulous project Ro, and that saying is so clever and appropriate for a wedding :)

Missy said...

What a stunning sign for a fall wedding! Terrific colors, fonts, and use of the leaves as accent images!

Heather said...

Great sign! I love all the leaves in the different colors and the font you used looks great. I bet your niece is going to love all of the creations you've made to help with her wedding!

Mollie said...

Awesome job Ro! The sign turned out beautiful with all the different colored leaves! I'm sure the bride and groom will love it!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Great projects! Carri~Abusybee
Skittles!

My Lil' Bits said...

Love it!! Very pretty!!

Lisa C

Janis said...

Very nice project....love the message, too.

How lovely of you to offer blog candy! I am a brand-new follower by Google Blogger. Yippee!!!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com

Mayras Designs said...

They are very lucky to have you ! All the projects you have made for their wedding are beautiful ! Love how you used the vinyl ! Beautiful !

Mayra
MayrasDesigns.blogspot.com

Mom of 2 Monsters said...

I really love the saying on your sign. It came out beautiful and the leaves accent really pushes this over the top. Just stunning.

xxcalamityxx said...

Hi Ro, love your projects, the lettering is fantastic and i love the sentiment behind it too, so true!! I'm so sorry I had to dip out but I'm enjoying crawling round the DT blogs !! xhugsx Nikki

Saturday Sketch Challenge #748

Happy April, Crafting Friends! I hope your month has started out good and continues in a positive way.  I'm back today with another proj...